Sunday, November 2, 2008

Cookin' up a storm!


Last week I had one of those days where I was cooking up a storm! I thought I would post about it.

For my main course I made Pasta Fagioli (one of my husband's favorites--pictured above). Below is a copy of the recipe I sorta use...

2 tablespoons olive oil
3 strips bacon,coarsely chopped
1 rib celery,chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic,finely chopped
3 cans chicken broth
1 can 15-19 oz cannellini beans,undrained,mashed with -- fork
1 can 15-19 oz red kidney beans, drained
1 cup very small past shells or ditalini
salt and black pepper to taste
In large saucepan or Dutch oven,heat oil over medium heat. Add
bacon, carrot, celery, onion, and garlic, Cook 7 to 10 minutes, or
until bacon is cooked and vegetables are softened, stirring
occasionally.
Add chicken broth and white and red kidney beans, bring to a
boli over high heat. Add pasta and reduced heat to medium and
cook, uncovered 8 to 10 minutes or until pasta is cooked but not
mushy,stirring frequently. Taste to test tenderness. Season with
salt and pepper. Serves 6.

I say sorta because I loosely follow most recipes... for instance, the day I made this, I used ham in it. (I sometimes start out w/just a hambone--or I use the bacon) I also pretty much doubled this.

I made this nice, soft bread to go with the soup.

And for dessert:

Pumpkin Apple Gingerbread

No comments: