I'm talking about St. Patrick's Day. The way the world has perverted this day is typical...but there is a real story behind this actual person that lived around 387 AD. Here are some other facts:
- He was of noble birth
- At 16 he was carried off by a band of Irish raiders and was made a slave in Ireland
- Patrick was taken to Antrim where he was sold to a local landowner, Meliuc, who put him to work as a shepherd
- For six long years Patrick lived upon the Slemish mountain with only his sheep for company before being set free
- Upon returning home he prepared himself to become a priest
- In 432, now a Bishop, set out for Ireland as a missionary-he wanted to convert them to Christianity
- He taught that it was wrong to worship creation rather than the creator
- Explained the Trinity using a shamrock- with one stem and three leaves, the Trinity is one God in three persons
- He died on March 17th after a long and fruitful life
THE STORY OF SAINT PATRICK
Saint Patrick was a man of God
who came to Erin’s land
With God’s own love within his heart,
a shamrock in his hand.
He used the three-leafed shamrock
to help the people see
How there could be three persons
in the Holy Trinity.
The God the Irish learned of
today can still be found—
A Truth that’s far more beautiful
than creation all around!