Thursday, November 1, 2012

Are You Bored?

Someone sent me an email with the title Are You Bored?
And, it reminded me of when my kids were young...and they said that they were "bored". :)
Well, they found out quickly that you weren't allowed to say that in our home.
We should never be bored!

My remedy?
I made up a list of Productive Activities and posted it on the frig.
If all of their school work and chores were done, they could choose something off of
this list to do.
If they didn't do this--and slipped and said that they were bored--they got a really crummy job to do instead. I had a list for those also for me to choose from. :)
Like...cleaning the grout with a toothbrush :)

Some ideas from the list:
  • Write/make a card for a grandparent
  • Read a book
  • Gardening
  • Memory Verse
  • Play with Legos or Lincoln Logs
  • Walk the Dog
  • Play the Piano
I had quite a few items on the list, so that there should be plenty to choose from even over a period of time.
It solved our problem, and helped them to develop a good habit of using their time wisely.

I try to apply this to myself too. I try to have plenty of things "waiting in the wings" for me to do, so that I never feel bored.
Hope this inspires you today to find some new, creative things to use your time.

1 comment:

Caterpillar said...

In our house, saying "I'm bored" equals matching that weeks worth of the whole family's clean socks. ;p Yeah, we don't tend to hear that one very often....;)