Monday, August 1, 2011

Making it sssttttrrreeeettttccchhhh!


I've been thinking over my household chores, and the money that needs to be spent
to keep things clean.
I am stretching our money (as are a lot of us during this tough economy)
so, I thought I'd pass along a few things that we do here to stretch money at home.
  • Make our own Window Cleaner (1/2 rubbing alcohol and 1/2 water) (a little stronger for tough jobs)
It is inexpensive and effective! We picked up a .99 squirt bottle, and use a squeegee to clean windows and mirrors
  • White Vinegar and Baking Soda make a wonderful cleaning paste!
We even washed our clear vinyl shower curtain in this - came out looking like new!
  • Eat at home-and, we make our meals from scratch (planning for leftovers for lunch the next day when possible!)
  • Buy in bulk (at the Amish store-whenever possible)
  • Some of the items we purchase there are: spices, flour, brown rice, wheat berries, popcorn, honey, yeast, baking soda and powder, sugar and brown sugar.
  • Planted a garden and use the produce (both fresh and we freeze and can the excess)



We use our squash in casseroles, and stir-fry. We use the tomatoes for sandwiches and spaghetti sauce fresh, and make salsa and sauce to can. We also cut up the tomatoes and put in quart freezer bags--perfect for soup and chili!

  • Use masking tape and a Sharpee marker to label our leftovers so we know how fresh they are (keeps us from wasting food!)
  • When we make muffins-we mix up a 2nd batch and freeze the raw dough in the cupcake papers - when you are ready to bake them-just take straight out of the freezer and bake! Great for a "pinch"!
  • Use pay by phone to pay my bills--saves me stamps!
  • Use the library for borrowing movies, books, magazines, cd's and books on tape
  • Organize our errand runs so that we don't waste time/gas
  • Put sheets up over our windows during those 100 degree days--kept it much cooler in here!
  • Arranged a tarp for shade over our heat pump to keep it from having to work so hard in the hot sun (we were careful to be sure it had proper air flow)
  • Put a small fan in front of our a/c vent in the living room to help the cold air into the room
  • Wash our clothes in cold water - making sure to measure our detergent so we don't waste (we also use less than they suggest)
  • Keep our lights off if we're not going to be in the room
  • Hang our clothes on the line (they get dry for free!)
  • Shop at Thrift Store (I'm trying to do this only when I need to look for something-If I just "pop in" I will buy something I don't need!)
  • Cut the men of the house's hair ourselves (I found a pair of professional clippers on amazon- usually $160, and I got them for $15!)
  • We also took the Dave Ramsey FPU course, and we try  hard to stick to a budget
  • I use the internet to get Swagbucks-and get free amazon gift cards
  • Use Paperbackswap.com to get free books!
These were just a few ideas that came to mind. I am sure you have lots too! Feel free to share them with me!

She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.
Proverbs 31:27

May God bless you as you "look well to the ways" of your household!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sherri, One thing I have been doing lately is using hand towels to dry my hair instead of bath towels . My hair is short so a hand towel is fine for drying it . I have lots of hand towels that very seldom get used so that helps on washing and drying towels . That would work well on men and boys hair . Carolyn