Saturday, May 31, 2014

Pet Poisons: The Top 10 Suspects for Dogs - And for Cats

To go along with my last post-directed at our four-legged friends. I thought I would post this article (the link with the credit and full article is at the bottom if you would like to read more, or subscribe to her newsletter)
1. ChocolateChocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, which are both classified as methylxanthines. These compounds can cause hyperactivity, increased heart rate, tremors, and potentially death. The more bitter the chocolate, the more toxic it is. Bakers and dark chocolate are the most toxic, and milk chocolate can be dangerous if ingested in large amounts.
2. XylitolXylitol, a sugar substitute common in sugar-free chewing gum and many other products, can cause life-threatening hypoglycemia and liver damage in dogs.
3. NSAIDsNon-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Advil, Motrin and Aleve, can cause GI ulcers and kidney failure.
4. Over-the-counter cough, cold and allergy medicationsMany of these preparations contain acetaminophen (a painkiller) and pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine (decongestants) and are highly toxic.
5. RodenticidesRat and mouse poison can contain inactive ingredients that are attractive to dogs. Aside from eating the poison itself, dogs can also become sick from eating a rodent that has ingested poison. Exposure to rat and mouse poison can cause bleeding, seizures and kidney damage.
6. Grapes and raisinsThese foods, even in small amounts, can cause kidney failure in dogs.
7. Insect bait stationsThe danger here is primarily bowel obstruction when a dog swallows the plastic shell that contains the bait.
8. Prescription ADD/ADHD drugsThese drugs are amphetamines that can cause tremors, heart problems, seizures and death in pets.
9. Glucosamine joint supplementsThese supplements are often flavored to appeal to dogs. Overdoses usually produce nothing more dangerous than diarrhea, but in rare cases, liver failure can result.
10. Oxygen absorbers and silica gel packsOxygen absorbers are found in packages of pet treats, beef jerky, and other consumables, and they contain iron that can cause iron poisoning in dogs. Silica gel packs are the small white packs found in new shoes, purses and backpacks.
Link to full article

No comments: